Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Plan of Redemptive History

So... since I have been here, I have only read one book. But now I am finally starting my second book. John Piper's Don't Waste Your Life. I have seen it and heard of it before, but never read it. Abby had two copies of it placed on the bookshelf in the VH, and so I finally decided I would check it out. I came across a wonderful quote today that really pinpoints the API ministry here in Uganda... It is a wonderful quote...

"God ordained a redemptive history whose sequence fully displays his glory so that, at the end, the greatest possible number of people would have had the historical antecedents necessary to engender [the most] fervent love for God.... The one thing God is doing in all of redemptive history is to show forth his mercy in such a way that the greatest number of people will throughout eternity delight in him with all their heart, strength, and mind.... When the earth of the new creation is filled with such people, then God's purpose in showing forth his mercy will have been achieved.... All the events of redemptive history and their meaning as recorded in the Bible compose a unity in that they conjoin to bring about this goal."

This quote just makes me think of all of our boys. Caitlyn, the API teams coordinator from California, just moved into the VH-her now forever home. She was asking me what my favorite part has been so far and it is so difficult for me to think of a favorite! However, Abby and I have talked about seeing the transformation in the boys. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday we watch these street boys interact inappropriately with themselves, the uncles, strangers, and even the animals. BUT! Then comes the weekend out in Bombo! What a blessing and a refresher. Those boys are from the same "crop" if you will. Ran away from or abandoned by their families and living horrible lives on the streets. However, with the redemptive power of the Holy Spirit, they have been transformed!

And furthermore, it is incredible to watch the uncles work with the boys. The Lord's redemptive power is just so very evident here and it is so encouraging. As my mom says, "Every time I see a picture of the boys, I just pray that each of them will grow up like Uncle David". I hope that you will join my mother and I in that prayer. David and the other uncles have become men of the Word.. They are absolutely devoted to helping redeem these street boys from what they have gotten into-whether their own choice or not, and I pray they are encouraged daily in what they are doing... that their work is pleasing the Father and making an eternal impact for the kingdom.

"My greatest fear is that I become significant in something that has no eternal purpose."

No comments:

Post a Comment