Friday, December 28, 2012

My boys and the Christmas Story...

First of all, I want to say a huge thank you to all of you who are loving and supporting me. I was given an assignment from CTEN when I returned from training. My assignment was to gather mailing addresses from people who would receive my ministry letters, pray for me, and support me financially. One of the books I've been reading said, "If you begin searching for supporters and you can only find about 50 or so, maybe there is something else He is wanting you to do." It talked about finding around 200 people to receive your newsletters as a good indicator that people are interested in what you are doing and the Lord is providing those individuals and families to support you. I began texting, calling, and messaging people on Facebook to ask for their mailing addresses. I just continued to pray and pray that the Lord would stir people's hearts to joining me in the ministry... In less than 3 days I had exceeded the 200 person mark!  THANK YOU for being willing to learn about what the Lord is doing through myself and the API family there in Uganda! If you think I may not have you on the list, please find me on Facebook or send me an email at taylor.lauren.e@gmail.com


Next, I wanted to share some things that have been on my mind lately about my boys... There is not a day that goes by where I am not thinking of those little guys in Uganda. I can't help but be thinking of them when I am reading through Scriptures, worshiping through music, or listening to my pastors at church. Here are some verses and thoughts that have been dwelling within my heart.

A few weeks ago we were reading through Luke 2 at a "different perspective" of the Christmas story.. I love that our pastor chooses to give us background information so that we can truly interpret the Scripture in the honest context. Well, he gave us all of this background information about Caesar Augustus and how he created for himself such power and domination in the world during his time. Caesar spoke the command for people to return home for the census and the entire world moved at this command. "Rome became the religion of the world and Augustus was their god." But his power came through great acts of evil and betrayal. No peace. No justice. Just brutal force.

Then our pastor began speaking about the shepherds. He was saying how the shepherds were nothing important, but they were responsible for watching over the sheep.. These sheep would become the sacrifices in the temple... However, an angel appeared and sent them to worship the true Sacrifice. The Sacrifice for mankind. Here is the message given to these shepherds that most of us are very familiar with:

"Glory to God in the highest and on Earth peace, goodwill toward men." (2:14)

During Caesar's reign... PEACE IS POSSIBLE.

I just kept thinking about my boys. Every time I saw shepeherds, I thought about my boys. Each time I walked past the collection of nativities my mother keeps in the front hallway of our home, I saw the shepherds. I loved seeing the Ugandan set I brought back for mom this past fall. My boys... the Ugandan shepherds... the dirty. An online source provided me with this...

"... the labor is not intensive. Unlike farming, shepherding does not require one to exert a great deal of energy in mundane matters. Nevertheless, the shepherd is concerned with the actual physical needs of the flock. A shepherd does not live in an ivory tower, immersed in artificial philosophies detached from life; rather, the shepherd is constantly engaged with the real world, seeking water, shade, and good fodder for animals. The thoughts and musings of the shepherd may be sublime and lofty, but they cannot take the shepherd away from the task at hand."

My boys are those shepherds. They are not growing up in the fanciest homes or being educated to the highest degree possible. But they are engaged in the real world learning to survive. They are being educated in survival and craft. Now, on the streets, their education is for survival purposes, but when we can provide for them a stable foundation (pun intended of stable=story of Christ's birth) their knowledge of craft and survival can be directed towards positive things!

Later on in verse 17 it says "they made widely known what was told them."... and what was told them again?

"Glory to God in the highest and on Earth peace, goodwill toward men."

I just desired so strongly to train these boys so that they can move forward and share their knowledge. They can go from taking care of Caesar's sacrifices, to worship the True Lamb.. and then share that with others. They will share what was told to them. About the true One worthy of our worship and love.


Isaiah 9
Nevertheless, there will be no more gloom
for those who were in distress...
The people walking in darkness
    have seen a great light;
on those living in the land of deep darkness
    a light has dawned. 
You have enlarged the nation
    and increased their joy;
they rejoice before you
    as people rejoice at the harvest,
as warriors rejoice
    when dividing the plunder.


Pray for my boys. That they can be the shepherds who turn from caring for the empty sacrifies of the world, to spreading the news of true joy and hope to the nations.

A recent picture of David and Abby with a FULL house of younger boys! There were only about 7 when I left. What a future force for the Lord these boys could become!
 



No comments:

Post a Comment