Sunday, June 10, 2012

Back in the city..

Just as an FYI, I updated quickly last Friday while in an Internet cafe, but I did not publish it to Facebook. So I will pick up where I left off and add a few details I didn't last week!

*I met the women on Friday! It was incredible. They are being taught all sorts of lessons, including quality of work and how to save income in order to invest in a business in the future. I am so pumped about them graduating on July 14th, my birthday! Abby is really interested in starting another program after this one completes, but is just praying about what the Lord wants. It is absolutely incredible how she is preparing them! Their faces LIT UP THE WHOLE WORLD when she told them that I had sold so much of their jewelry! They are SOOOOO thankful! Please keep buying! And we are working on some adjustments in sizes and different styles are going to be coming out soon! :) Some with pearls!

*Abby and I then headed off to the street boys program in the slum. Oh goodness the smell! We enjoyed watching about 40-50 boys play futbol, then I tended to their wounds(strong stomach there!) with Uncle Eddy, they were taught a short lesson on riddles, played some games (some I taught!), had a short Bible lesson, then we served them all lunch!

*I received a HUGE blessing on Saturday. I not only received schillings at a WONDERFUL exchange rate of 2400 instead of 2000,(because I only had 20s and not 100s) but we went to the Brussels airlines to pick up my luggage, they were closed for the national holiday/maintenance, but they retrieved my luggage for me anyway!

*Saturday for lunch (which is about 2pm each day and dinner at about 8 or 8:30) Abby and I discussed some of my roles. I will lay out the basic week for me at the end of this post so you can pray for specific events. Abby has asked me to do some administrative work that I am really excited about! Sounds weird, but the filing and organizing of information excites me, and is a HUGE blessing to her because she is drowning in it all and hates to do it. The Lord has just worked things out that way. :)

*Saturday evening David, Abby, and myself packed up and headed outside of the city to village where they have the boys' homes. They call it "The Land". There is a home for older boys, younger boys, and then a series of 1 bedroom little buildings for the staff to stay in. That is where we stayed. I have pictures on Facebook... i bathed using containers of hot and cold water, a large cup, a bar of soap, and a basin to stand in. My basin doubled as a toilet in the middle of the night. We cooked and ate dinner, then shared a devotion with the older boys Saturday night.

*Sunday we enjoyed an incredible church service out in the village with over 200 locals I bet! and then I enjoyed lunch and "futbol" with the younger boys. On our way back, David, Abby, and myself stopped and had super yummy dinner at an Indian Restaurant in the city!

Now I am back in my city home and tomorrow we start over with the women's program in the morning, street boys in the afternoon, and then some other things in the evening. It was absolutely a blast to meet the boys this weekend! I have now seen the city life in Kampala and the village life. What a difference! Both are so different and wonderful in their own ways. I look forward to both each week!

Anyway, here is a run down of my week. If you have read all the way to this point... WOW! Thanks!! Here is my schedule so you will see when certain things happen and what needs to be prayed for on each day. I am still behind on sleep for jetlag... taking some things to help me sleep, but it isn't going too well. So please pray I can get some rest.



MONDAYS: Teach Bible study and any "skills" lesson to the women in the morning. Attend and assist with Street Boys program in the afternoon. Admin. work and misc. in the evening.

TUESDAYS: (Abby and David's day off) Administrative work and any errands needing to be ran. This week I will be working with Uncle Eddy to try and resettle some street boys with their parents! Will be documenting as an administrative assistant (a HUGE blessing to Abby)


WEDNESDAYS: Attend Women's Program in the morning. Teach life/academic lesson, game, and devotional at the street boys program.

THURSDAYS: uncertain. Prep time for teaching at The Land this weekend and completing some admin. work on the computer for Abby.

FRIDAY: Purchase jewelry and help women boost savings account at the Women's program in the AM, Street Boys in the PM.  Admin. and prep time for the weekend.

SATURDAY: Head out to The Land in the village. Teach boys devotional and lesson. RELAX!

SUNDAY: Sleep in! and then head to church with all of the boys! Enjoy lunch and fun times, then head back to the city to start over!

If you have continued reading to this point, I am super impressed! Thank you all. Love to you all.

2 comments: